Friday, March 28, 2014

what's cookin'

During finals week in college, I basically survived on peanut butter sandwiches, BTB quesadillas and Garden Salsa Sun Chips. The class that I was co-instructing just wrapped up and it was almost like I was a student again, relying way too much takeout and eating out. Although my tastes have matured a bit; now my go-to  junk food is a Yumm bowl. I actually just started reading the Willpower Instinct and it says that willpower can be "used up;" by expending so much willpower on studying and working hard, we no longer have enough left to will ourselves to eat healthily and cook (there's a lot more in that book that's super interesting, but that's another post for another time.)

Regardless, I still managed to make some good eats lately:

source
  • Hawaiian Pulled Pork Nachos. Clearly the last pulled pork success inspired me, and I made these nachos. The actual creation was definitely a NAILED IT! Pinterest fail moment, but they were so good.
  • Thai Chicken Soup. I am on a mission to cook good Thai food, but although this soup was good (I used red curry paste instead of green, though) it just doesn't measure up to my favorite takeout.
  • Pineapple Cashew Fried Rice. Okay, this was a Thai(ish) recipe that was actually big success. It still didn't taste like takeout, but was definitely the best fried rice I've ever made.
  • Slow Cooker Apple Cider Pulled Pork. SO GOOD. And it made tons, so we ate it in all sort of leftover forms for a week (pulled pork tacos FTW.)
  • Crispy Honey Lemon Chicken. I've made this a few times; a super easy, crispy fried-but-not-heavy chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment