Thursday, February 20, 2014

book club: lean in



I know, I know, everyone and their mother (and maybe even their father) has read this book. It's been recommended to me multiple times, but I kind of resisted reading it. I feel like pointing out the difference between women and men in the workplace just contributes even more to that difference. I get it; women still make less money than men, are less respected, are seen as bitchy instead of bossy, all that good stuff. As a female engineer, I've definitely encountered my fair share of awkward gender dynamics. I'm just not convinced that having books directed at women (or groups solely for women, or motivational seminars targeted at women, et cetera...) really helps close that gap. Still, I'm trying to keep an open mind and definitely believe there's a lot to learn from an accomplished businessperson like Sheryl Sandberg regardless of what her gender is.

So what do you think - want to join me? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

I'm curious: what do you think about having organizations or media targeted at women specifically? Does this help or hurt the cause?

No comments:

Post a Comment